Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I went for a bike ride today over to the post office. On my way back I stopped at this little park and sat underneath a tree that had a whole big flock of Little Corellas in it. I had a grand ol' time looking at them and the ducks and listening to all of the different bird calls. There were also some water bids that I have listed below and some little Willie Wagtails (they are so cute, they wag their tails every time they land). There was also a raven in the tree, which over here make a sound like a dying cat. Hear it here:
http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/sounds/ausraven.au

It was really neat, that's one of the things I love the most about Australia is all of the diverse bird life. All of the birds below were hanging around me today except the kookaburra (my favorite), and there were some others flying around that I didn't know. Sadly I didn't have my camera with me, so I have to rely on the internet for these pics.

Here are some common bird calls around here (the Kookaburra is less common but still heard now and again, especially out in more rural areas). This picture is actually courtesy of me from the trip I took to Perth in 2008.
http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/images/stories/birds/kookaburra.mp3


Magpie
http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/images/stories/birds/magpie.mp3




Pacific Black Duck


Little Corella


Eurasian Coot


Willie Wagtail


Australian White Ibis


Little black cormorant

2 comments:

  1. Those are some funky looking birds. You should go sketch them! Sure would make wonderful art, especially the Ibis.

    -Angela

    ReplyDelete